Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Craisin experiement (part 2)
More questions than answers, but
I will probably try making craisins again.
When I went back to the syrupy fruit to put it on the trays, I wondered how to make it not fall through the holes.??
I had a tiny note on a handwritten recipe (from when I lived in Chicago), "cheesecloth."
I cut a piece, spread the fruit over it on the tray, put in the dehydrator, and walked away. The cheesecloth worked very well but made it tricky to get them off.
I think if you have these plastic sheets you could make them more easily.
I peeled the sticky fruit off the cheesecloth anyway, and pulled out some tiny threads that got stuck in it.
The flavor is excellent, and worth attempting again. I've noticed my storebought craisins have a miniscule amount of oil in them, perhaps to pry them off cheesecloth or a drying rack?
Because cranberries are so sour, you are instructed to cook them in syrup before drying them. I saved the syrup when I drained the fruit. Is this byproduct diluted and sold as cranberry juice? I thought I would probably add some apples to mine and make applesauce with it.
I am also not sure they were dry enough not to turn moldy. Must do more reading on this topic.
Very interesting . . . . will update you if I get the plastic sheets and try again.
p.s. I've never made my own cranberry sauce, so I didn't know this, but they popped when I boiled them. Very unique sound.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Fun experimenting! I would keep them in the fridge or freezer if I were you. I remember my mom always keeping our dried fruit in the freezer because yes, I think it's hard to get them totally dry.
ReplyDeleteyah, that was me.
ReplyDelete