“Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it;
and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God.”
Joseph Smith

Pages

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

One year older

For our birthday(s) this year I had an idea to see what was playing at Red Rocks. I found out that they show movies. Most are not our taste, but there was going to be a showing of Princess Bride just a few days before our birthday. I booked my mom as our babysitter, since I knew we'd be out LATE and Nathan got tickets.

It was a sold out show--5,000 seats.

They also offer yoga and give tours, so you can go even if it's not for a concert. We left around 4 and stopped for dinner on the way. Nothing fancy, but nice to eat alone together.

I just loved this parking lot.


38 yr old us. His version of this photo turned out better because he has longer arms.
Tons of steps. Some people come here to work out.
This large group of "Men in Black"a few rows down was great for people watching. The thing about Red Rocks is that you have to go early. There is an expensive section in the middle roped off. But all the other seats are first come/first served. We got there close to when the gates opened. There was some LOUD music playing for the first hour and a half . . . not our style, but part of the package of getting a good seat. This is the view from our seats . . . . except more focused on the people in black than the stage.
Amazing view . . . . this is closer to the top. Weather was perfect.



When Tara & Stephen came to visit last year, she met a friend for breakfast. They introduced us to the Silver Grill's Cinnamon Roll french toast. We've been a handful of times--it's your typical local diner. Nathan had also been invited there for a work breakfast. We took our whole family one morning and most of us ordered the C.Roll french toast. After getting the bill, however, I decided we'd try it at home. We went the day before Nathan's birthday to buy the rolls & everything else we had at home. It worked really well and we saved about $50.
 
 If you try this at home, (which you should), I have two tips.
1)Put the cut side of the roll down first in the pan. It works better.
2)Get cinnamon rolls that have more of a glaze than a frosting . . . like what's picture below.

It will probably be your best breakfast all year, and you don't need syrup or anything else. We put powdered sugar on the table but you don't really need it.


For Nathan's birthday we bought a used backpacking type backpack from Craigslist for not very much. He is our new scoutmaster, so will be using it lots with all those boys.
Scoutmaster is Nathan's dream calling and I am hoping he's not still in when it's Eddie's turn.
He asked for zucchini and squash for dinner, so along with other things I made him this:
Zucchini Gratin
He went easy on me for dessert. Oatmeal raisin cookies from the freezer made into an ice cream sandwich.

I wanted a new helmet for my bike. My former one was from 1993 and looked like it. Bike helmets have changed a LOT in the past 20 years. I've already been out with it and plan to ride more frequently. Maybe someday I will ride to a store????
I found a sour cream angel food cake on sale so I bought it and made this fruit dip to go on top, served with berries. It was exactly what I wanted.

Happy birthday us.





1 comment:

  1. I loved catching up on your blog! Happy Birthdays to you both!

    ReplyDelete