“Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it;
and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God.”
Joseph Smith

Pages

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Flood Update (Sun Sept 22)

This week we were asked to help with two projects: cleaning up the yard of a business and volunteering at the Loveland Flood Relief Disaster Center. We were unable to help with the business cleanup because of a prior commitment, but I am scheduled to go to the Disaster Center in a few days.

The stakes surrounding the hardest hit areas are assigned a neighboring stake to help, which I believe I already mentioned. Cheyenne is helping us . . . 75 men from my dad's stake were down yesterday helping in Berthoud . . . . Denver is helping Boulder--it's all very organized. 

Today we had no meetings or commitments and decided to go as a family to see if we could be helpful at the Loveland Flood Disaster Relief Center. It was delightful. We invited a bunch of friends to come and two of our children's friends were able to come with us, and one of the moms.

We worked from around 2 pm until 4:30 pm. Individuals and groups have donated items and the volunteers are working on sorting them to set up a "store" for flood victims who need help. I am not sure what the qualifications process is, but they are invited to take clothing, shoes, hygiene, baby care, and food.

It was impressive. We saw individuals representing FEMA, American Red Cross, Americorps, and individuals and families who wanted to help. I did not take any photos of the "store," but I will say that it is well organized. We did not see many there shopping, but there were a few. One man, who said he's volunteered every day last week said yesterday there were approximately 400 who came through, but he wasn't sure if that was individuals or families.
See those yellow vests? Left from those people is the "receiving dock" where families dropped off donations.

After the volunteer crowd died down a bit . . . the "store" is on the other side of the curtains

Labeling boxes to sort clothing donations

Transporting sorted clothing to another area for temporary storage until the "store" needs re-stocked

I teach Sunday School and today the lesson was on rescuing the Martin & Willie handcart companies. We had lots of talk about reaching out in service--to the handcart pioneers & flood victims. One lady, who'd been to the disaster center earlier in the week said, "Not all the people wearing 'Mormon Helping Hands' vests are members, so it gives you a great opportunity to talk about that if they aren't."
I tried that trick, I approached a man who'd been working near us and asked if he was Mormon. He said he was not, but did not seem bothered to wear it . . . . which is great. We welcome visitors.

During our regular church meetings today, we were told that the LDS church sent 3 semi's full of supplies to this disaster relief center. Our stake president worked as a liaison with the City of Loveland and the Church to find out what was needed. And then, it came.

Being close to those flood waters but not affected by them will give our family many opportunities to serve. It will bring us closer to our neighbors and help us remember what's truly important.
Today's service will be a happy memory for our family--there are many days ahead to serve & we are grateful to be a part of it.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the flood updates! I'm glad that you have taken the opportunity to serve with your family; something we should do more of in our own home. My parents have asked how you guys were doing with all the rain...now I can give them an accurate report, other than, "fine, I think." =)

    ReplyDelete