“Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it;
and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God.”
Joseph Smith

Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My First Blue and Gold

I took the first accounting midterm on Friday, and have now finished lesson#5, too. Friday was a big day at our house. Nathan took the day off work, the kids got out of school early, and we had our first Blue and Gold Banquet. (That is our first blue and gold banquet together . . . Nathan had many and I remember at least one, but that was the 80's . . . . Our first JOINT Blue and Gold banquet).

For those who know nothing about Scouts: The Blue and Gold Banquet is the annual dinner for Cubs to celebrate scouting. If you've been working in your pack since September, your boys should earn their rank at this time, also.

For those who know more than me: (which is probably more of you, depending on your generation and whether or not you have a boy older than 8) This dinner is usually in February, but we weren't quite ready. We weren't even going to have one, I was going to give awards away at a den meeting held at my home. A leader over me suggested we do it more officially, so I listened. Late is better than never. My decision to have one was finalized one evening when I called home. My mom was there, but not my dad, he was attending his ward's blue and gold banquet. Thanks, Dad, you still are a good influence on me.

It was the first time we've had parents and cubs in the same room. Only one family couldn't come. We have a long way to be the pack I want to be, but I am happy to see the progress. My perfectionism often is a problem--Scouting is teaching me to be more concerned with direction than current location.

It dawned on me, I've never been the leader before. I have been a teacher a number of times, and helped other leaders, assuming a portion of responsibility, but this time it was my turn to make the decisions and oversee all the details. That realization was a little frightening. For the the first time, if I didn't do it, no one else would have stepped in. I even chose the menu, made food assignments, and unlocked the church to set up. I worried when the invitations went out. . . . . . "Do I have to ask permission to have this event?" It was helpful to have Nathan's support.

Andrew is officially a Bobcat, working toward his Wolf and I have a blue and gold under my belt.

The Miracle of the Seatcovers:

Sunday before the dinner, I was searching for decorations in the closet that stores the cub supplies. I saw a large piles of blue and gold fabric, so I dug to find out what it was. I discovered nearly 50 blue and gold chair covers, sewn to fit over the back of a folding chair. It was such a great find! They added to the decor and showed me that one woman really can make a difference. She had such vision. I can't believe she spent that much time. She also cannot know how much it meant to me to find them. I felt her support, even though I will probably never know who she is. I asked around, and no one knew. I wish I could tell her thanks, she is my new hero. I also wish that I'd taken a photo that night to share with you. I am sure we'll use them again next year, so stick around!

ps I can't tell you how many times at Scouts we do something that at least one of the boys has never done before. Like play marbles, or flip pancakes, or play kickball or table tennis. Every once in awhile I am shocked, but pretty quickly I remember, I am doing this for the first time, too. I love being there to watch them grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment