When Bryn was Diana size (3T at the moment), I bought a shirt from JCPenney on clearance for $2.77. Unbelieveable sale. But I've never liked it, because of the sleeves--they had an extra flouncy part at the bottom. The flounce was always a problem. This fall when I tried it on Diana, she told me she didn't want to wear it. As in "NEVER, MOM!"
I guess we aren't a very flouncy family.
I couldn't get rid of it, though, so I decided to try something else with it. This morning, I got rid of the flounce and hemmed the sleeves using the twin needle. After working out the kinks, ie, "How do you thread this thing with 2 threads?" it was delightful and I will be using it to repair a few other T-shirts whose hems have come loose. (My mending pile is large and contains clothes that are outgrown or discarded before repaired. It is inevitably tossed in a random box right before we move. Hoping to eliminate it by our Ft. Collins move). If you plan to purchase a twin needle for working on knit fabrics, make sure you purchase the "Stretch" variety.
This is what the shirt looks like now. Not perfect, but a great trick to have up your sleeve. Pun intended.
Close up of the sleeve. Better now. And she told me she wants to wear it tomorrow. We'll see, at first she thought I was making it short sleeved.


I will admit that sewing is not my hottest of topics to read about, but I enjoy reading it because it's important to you. Your own blog is where you can write about what's important to you. I think I have realized that a little more as I have looked at turning my blog into a book through the blurb website. They will take all your posts and put them and the pictures into a book for you- easy as pie. Since my blog has been my journal, it's important to me to preserve it. Your blog might be your journal- and sewing is a great part of your life! It's a great accomplishment to sew- especially nowadays. I am always impressed!
ReplyDeleteI love your sewing stories. I find them inspiring!
ReplyDelete