“Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it;
and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God.”
Joseph Smith

Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

5K June 2010

We wanted to celebrate the end of Nathan's medical education so I asked him what he wanted to do . . . .

"How about we run a 5K?" he suggested.


So only a week after moving, we did. My parents watched our kids while we ran.
There was a kids' race, too, so the 3 oldest children competed as well. Andrew came in first, and outran the lady he was supposed to follow.

My time: 39:35
At first my goal was to jog the whole way and not leave in the ambulance. I knew I wasn't going to leave in the ambulance, but also that I was not in good enough shape to jog the whole way. (The first mile I ran post- Ed was June 2nd, NATIONAL RUNNING DAY). I decided to jog the long hill at the end and take my walking breaks earlier. I took two--three minute walking breaks, and was able to jog the rest. The sense of accomplishment felt great and I want to do another one, and run the whole way.

The last race we did together was 9 years ago, in Garden Valley, ID on the 4th of July. Nathan won it, and I walked most of it. These two races are the bookends at the beginning and end of his formal medical education. In both post-race photos I am holding a small fuzzy haired baby boy. Not that much has changed, and yet so much has.