“Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it;
and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God.”
Joseph Smith

Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Veggie Report

At the beginning of the year I made a goal to eat veggies at lunch every day this year. I figured since 1/4 of the year has gone by that I should update my progress:
I haven't done it every single day, but I've only missed a couple. I have turned a corner.
It's been fun to experiment, to see my kid eating vegetable with less resistance (and sometimes without me mentioning it), and to enjoy them more myself. Sometimes they ask to get out the carrot sticks (if they don't like what's on the table), sometimes they will eat them at snack time, and someone has even taken them to school more than once.

New veggies I've tried in 2013:
Banana squash (Provided by my in-laws, seriously the biggest squash I've ever seen)
Broccoli slaw (A big fan of it in this recipe--with my sauce changes listed here)

I did buy a jicama, but didn't get to it before it went bad in my fridge, so I'll have to try again on that one. I think if I plan some kind of dip to have on hand next time I buy it, I will be more successful.

For me preparation is the biggest deal killer. By the time I've baked bread, shopped for groceries, and made the main dishes, I am mostly done. I love the veggie options that have some of the prep already done for you.
More money? Yes.
Worth it right now in this phase of life? Yes, absolutely.
One of the grocery stores marks these down for quick sale, so I've started to check for them and see what's on sale. 

The best new veggie recipe I've tried is here:
Parmesan Zucchini and Squash (Scroll down to page 16 if you really want to see it).

(I'm not allowing comments on this post, because I prefer not to, but if you'd like to send an email, feel free).