
I've been in a bit of a cooking funk, and so I am searching for your favorite dinner salads. Using the electricity as little as possible is a desirable thing. In your comments, please post a favorite, send me a link to a great recipe or site, or an email. My husband, family, and self would greatly appreciate a new idea or two.
p.s. I'm not really a fan of cold pasta salads, so save those for someone who is.
I have 4 recipes- 3 of which I have tried. Funny part is that they come from my Aunt's Stake Cookbook- she lives in Texas. ; )
ReplyDeleteIf I email them to you, will you send copies of any others you get?
Of course, Tara.
ReplyDeleteThankful to know I'm not the only woman in TX who doesn't want to cook in the summer.
i actually was going to send you two.. until i read "no pasta" :(
ReplyDeletedefinitely thought i was going to find at least 3 recipes here that i could swipe, and haven't found any! i say an salad is a dinner salad if you serve it with yummy bread and popsicles afterwards. :) here are some of the ones we like...
ReplyDelete-grilled chicken caesar salad with bread (and thanks to trudy neuffer, she always throws in some cooked bow tie pasta that makes it a little heartier and way good)
-thai salad (yummy with chicken, but doesn't need it)...lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, water chestnuts, cilantro, almonds, lime if you want, and kraft's asian toasted sesame dressing.
-taco salad not that you need a recipe, but...(yummy with seasoned ground turkey, but we often eat it vegetarian), lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, olives, cheese, (peppers? EW, if you ask me, but some people like 'em), and eat with tortilla chips, sour cream, and salsa
This is one of my favorite whole meal salads. I love it because it is easy and you can skip ingredients or add your own favorites and still have a great filling salad in the end.
ReplyDeleteMexican Salad
1 15oz can garbanzo beans
1 15oz can black beans
2 tomatoes, diced
1 red or yellow pepper, diced
1/2 cup chopped scallions or green onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley (I use dried)
2 garlic cloves, minced (I have used garlic powder)
1/4 t. cumin
1/2 t. salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 T. walnut oil (olive, canola, or vegetable oil work fine)
Juice of 1 lime (I use concentrate and have used lemon juice)
Mixed salad greens
(Our favorite extras are black olives, diced avocado, shredded cheese, and when I need it to go a little further or be more filling I'll add lean ground beef)
Rinse the beans with cold water and drain. In a large bowl, toss beans, vegetables, and seasonings. Dress with oil and lime juice, and serve over mixed salad greens (we like to eat tortillas or chips with this salad).