In a quest to only read and listen to uplifting things, I have generally avoided adult fiction. (Sadly).
I enjoy biography or autobiographies, because they often offer inspiring stories with minimal trash. Nathan and I enjoy reading a book together from time to time. We were thrilled to realize this would be simpler, faster, etc. if we listened to an audio book together. I can't remember if he picked this one or if I did, but Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand was our first. (Neither of us have seen the 2003 movie).
We loved it!
(Of course, there was that section on the prostitution house right near the racetrack that we skipped and the the whole topic of gambling, and the occasional expletive that I want to warn you about).
The unique partnership of Charles Howard, Owner, Red Pollard, Rider; Tom Smith, Trainer; and Seabiscuit, horse; was inspiring. Each needed the others, and each was very successful. Mostly they trained to win a race called the Santa Anita Handicap, whose purse was $100,000, an incredible amount of money in the 1930's. (Wikipedia told me that now the purse is $750,000). I won't tell you if they won, but I will tell you they overcame many hurdles in their time together.
The reader had a great voice and it was very well written. Lots of background information went into the telling of this delightful story.
Going into this book I knew very little about horse racing. It was interesting to observe it through reading about it. I was shocked by the poor conditions the jockeys endured, and their low payment. I was impressed by how many miles Seabiscuit traveled, and had a particular fondness for his trainer, Tom Smith for the kind and gentle way he worked with the horse. Charles Howard, the owner, truly loved Seabiscuit.
Saturday, March 22, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment