“Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it;
and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God.”
Joseph Smith

Pages

Monday, March 24, 2014

Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey


I tried to check this out in January. (No e-audiobook option . . . only CD's, which was not appealing).  There were 15 or 16 holds already but since our library had multiple copies, I only had to wait until mid-March to get it.

I like money management and have lots of room in my life for improving it. This is an inspiring read if you want to make changes in yours--he has a proven plan for how. He's successful in what he does with a large, dedicated group of fans. I haven't listened to his radio program ever, but some enjoy it.

What I like about his ideas are that he gives manageable steps. They may not be "easy" but are helpful. The first is to establish an emergency fund of $1000, then get out of debt. I appreciate his idea of paying off the smallest debt first--that appeals to me. Other steps follow, more emergency fund 3-6 months worth, investing for retirement, funding college, paying off the house, and giving. Perhaps the most interesting idea was that your income is your most valuable asset. Hadn't heard that before, but I like it. Still chewing on it but I see truth in it. I appreciate it's value in my children's lives (walking the dog, babysitting for others).

Have you read this? Used his ideas? I'd love to know any success stories you have with them.

I recommend this book to everyone and am considering it for the non-fiction book of the summer. Because it's so popular at my library, I would even consider buying a copy of it in the future . . . . but not for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment