I resist change. Moving a thousand miles across the country is one way to realize this. There are, however, easier ways to figure this out if you're not sure if you like change or not. When Target stopped selling my favorite socks, I thought I would never have happy feet again. I finally found some that would work . . . my feet made the transition to a new kind of ankle sock.
The shoes on the left have been on my feet every day since July 2006. I remember shopping for them because it was my birthday and Nathan and I were on a date. Who goes shoe shopping on a date? People like us who love shoes. It is also a special day in history, because that is the day we told our other children that I was pregnant with Diana. More notable because of Diana than the shoes.
In our family, you might say we are a little bit particular about the shoes we buy. This Christmas, it was time for an update, but I was unwilling to make the change. Nathan's work has a shoe store, and they are the New Balance dealer in town. He and I looked at the options online and I was going to go in and order them to get the employee discount.
I never did. It was on my Post-Christmas list of things to do, but he got them without my finding out until Christmas morning. Quite a feat when you realize the great lengths he had to go to in order to hide the transaction from me. I usually know what he's spent before he even has time to hand me a receipt. My feet and resisted a change, but now I once again have happy feet with the pair on the right.
We both are happy. I got to choose my shoes, and he got to surprise me. Thanks for the surprise, Nathan!
ps. Part of the photo is for my mom. Do you see what I see mom?
Food storage!! That's what I see!! Alright Beth, I am not sure, but you may be the one person I know with fewer shoes than Stephen. Happy for you that you got an update and that Nate got to surprise you! Stephen tried to surprise me for Christmas by using a credit card we never use (thinking I wouldn't check the balance). Not only did I see it, but when I didn't recognize the transaction, I looked up the Paypal transaction and followed the purchase until I knew what it was- never thinking it was a gift! Just suspicious activity on our card! ha ha
ReplyDeleteI would like to hear how Nate did it? Sell plasma? : )
Ok, so this is how he did it. . . . He gets reimbursed for his gas every couple of weeks, and it is a check that I usually deposit into the bank account.
ReplyDeleteAbout mid-december I start asking, "Isn't there another check for reimbursement?"
He plays dumb and says, "Not right now, maybe in a couple of weeks."
He cashed it and payed cash. And, he won't tell me how much it is, I know he's saving it for Valentine's Day. So sneaky. He loves that part. So glad you asked so I could tell the rest of the story.
You just can't ask too many questions during your birthday month or december, remember that next year!
Love your Christmas gifts. It's so fun to see the children get into the giving joy. Love your blog!
ReplyDeleteI see shoes atop food storage!!! That was on eof my Christmas gifts too this year, also from my mom. :) (On a side note, can I just say how converted I am to using dry beans! You probably already know this, but you can skip the soaking step, and just crock pot them all day, and then they're ready to use in recipes. I do a whole bag at a time and save money and time, by just freezing/labeling them in ziplock baggies for later use. A bag provides about 6 C. of beans and costs a dollar. A can costs about a dollar and provides you with just over a cup, so it adds up big time, esp. as often as I use beans.)
ReplyDeleteBut I love that Nathan was so thoughtful with the shoes, and the upcoming V-day gift...he gets big points!