“Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it;
and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God.”
Joseph Smith

Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Enrichment Sewing Group Begins

My ward has members who work in medicine. Because of the hospital, it is a mecca for medical training, from Texas A & M Med school, to residencies, fellowships, and physicians. (Ward is our church's name for congregation). It's been great for us to have a support system of other people who understand medicine's demands, and who relate to our stresses of taking call, student loan debt, and the long road of medical training.

One lady in my ward, who happens to be a pediatrician and stay at home mom, is also a sewing genius. When she decided to start a sewing Enrichment class, I signed up early. She also has her own sewing blog and loves to talk sewing, I've already learned a lot from talking to her and seeing what is coming out of her machine every day.

"Enrichment" is the name given to women's meetings designed with the purpose of improving the woman's life: spiritually, physically, mentally, etc. I've attended classes on improving communication, cooking, financial management, knitting, chocolate dipping(very popular), parenting, how to give a haircut, and now sew to name a few. I love enrichment!

I counted 11 machines going last night, it sounded like a sweatshop. Each person who was there finished at least one pillow, so I would say it was a success!

This is last night's finished project for me: a pillow for Caitlin's bed. She and Bryn have matching quilts I got on a great sale at Target last winter. Bryn would like to sew her own pillow now, she came with me last night.


The next project is skirts, so stay tuned. In the meantime, I will be working on this cute apron pattern, Butterick 4945, View D, in black and white.

2 comments:

  1. How fun! That sounds like a very fun group to be a part of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I am still here. I wanted to start sewing but need the motivation! :)

    ReplyDelete