Saturday, October 16, 2010
Coming Home 5K
This morning was our second race this year, the CSU Homecoming 5K. It was the biggest race I've run . . . . 1515 finishers . . . . . I loved the energy of so many participants.
My goal was to be able to run (jog) the whole race without stopping to walk. Because it was so big, the organizers asked us to stay with our pace group at the start. I enjoyed that better than starting with Nathan at the front. I was behind the Stormtrooper and near some jogging stroller moms. (Yes, he really did the whole race in his awesome costume). About 3/4 of a mile into the race, 4 jogging stroller dads passed me all at once. I met my goal--I did it without walking. I am a runner!? (What IS a runner?)
I have a goal about staying ahead of jogging stroller moms and dads . . . . . someday.
We had a babysitter so we could both run. She goes to CSU, which was great because she knew where to park, and she could drive herself home at the end.
The most inspiring participants were:
the parents pushing their teenage daughter with physical disabilities in an adult sized jogging stroller, (they brought a tear to my eye when they passed me),
the man with a below knee amputation who could not stop smiling when it was over, and his equally excited wife, who could not stop taking pictures of him,
and the men's 70+ age group winner, with a large brace on his knee because of femur problems, who ran a 29:30.
It was very flat, as promised in the advertisements. There was a HUGE kid's race afterwards. Three of our 4 runners competed. They had a one loop race around the "Oval" for the little ones and a two loop race for bigger kids.We missed our photo op with Cam the Ram . . . . next year. We saw people we knew, which was NICE. Nathan schmoozed with the professors.
The department head made my day when he said, "You have a beautiful family."
Nathan's time:18:33
My time: 37:31
"I love where I live." Caitlin said the other day..
Next year, homecoming parade.
More fall.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Way to go! You are a runner, it sounds fun. I like where you live, too.
ReplyDeleteYou do have a beautiful family! Congratulations on participating in this event as a family. What wonderful memories you are making for your children. We love you. The pictures of CSU campus bring back some of our good memories.
ReplyDeleteYou are a runner, for sure! What a fun day, thanks for all the descriptions of the runners . . .
ReplyDelete