I went with Caitlin's class to the Gardens at Spring Creek, a public garden.
I'm not sure how much "learning" took place on the field trip, but here are three factoids for your reading pleasure:
1) Humans eat the seeds (and or grains) of plants more than any other part of plants.
2)Espalier (pronounced /ɨˈspælɪər/ or /ɨˈspæli.eɪ/) is the horticultural and ancient agricultural practice of controlling woody plant growth by pruning and tying branches so that they grow in relatively flat planes, frequently in formal patterns, against a structure such as a wall, fence, or trellis, and also plants which have been shaped in this way.[1]
As seen in this tree apple tree below:
The Chicago botanic garden has lots of fruit trees like this, but I never knew the term. I love it!
3) The Garden donated over 2000 lbs of fresh produce to the community food bank this summer.
![]() |
| Yes, mom this one is for you. |
![]() | |
| My favorite feature: playing in the water feature with chattering teeth. |
Kids do all the same things on buses we used to do, including writing in the foggy windows with their fingers. It seems much more unsanitary now than it did then.





Sounds like fun!
ReplyDelete