“Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it;
and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God.”
Joseph Smith

Pages

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Corny


Our Memorial Day weekend plans changed when we realized we couldn't get the air conditioner in the mini-van fixed until after Jun 1st. :(

We planned to go to Houston to the temple and to drive on a little further to dip our toes into the Gulf of Mexico. That trip is postponed for awhile, but we are having fun at home this weekend.

In the afternoon, we filled 15 of our new canning jars with corn. The kids helped shuck the corn, I cut, and Nathan prepared it for the jars. It was fun to work together on something we can use later. In between duty, the kids were out in the backyard playing. The weather was so nice today, only high 70's, so the windows were open and I called them when it was time to shuck more corn. I called them "Corn Team." They came running each time it was their turn to help. I'm pretty sure that A & B will be the only kids who answer "We canned corn" when they go back to school on Tuesday and are asked what they did over the weekend.

I learned that shucking and cutting could be done outside, sparing a lot of kitchen cleanup, but will have to buy more corn to apply that knowledge. This was the first time we'd tried canning corn. I thought it would work well in pint jars, since we now have an abundance of them.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! Hopefully the kids will be excited to eat the corn, since they helped prepare it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry your more fun plans got cancelled! way to have a back up. Diana looks like Caitlyn in curls in this picture!

    ReplyDelete