The mystery was solved when Bryn took the first bite. "Mom, you forgot the salt!"
When she said it, I immediately remembered having seen that problem before. I've forgotten to add salt, oil, yeast, and sugar. All during distinct baking sessions, not all at once. Today it was salt. It looks like I'll be baking again soon. We've eaten saltlesss bread before, shaking on the salt at the table. But I don't know that I will do that this time. So disappointing! The loaf is extra sticky and the yeast goes like crazy--because salt slows it down. Hence the bubbly appearance on the top of the loaf on the right. If you don't believe there's a difference, scroll down to see the bread that Nate baked.
It reminds me of this scripture: "Verily, verily, I give unto you to be the salt of the earth; but if the salt shall lose its savor, wherewith shall the earth be salted? The salt shall thenceforth be good for nothing, but to be cast out and to be trodden under foot of men." 3 Nephi 12:13
That's about all this bread is good for--to be trodden under the foot of men.
Thank goodness I get to try again.
Salt free bread anyone?
Going once . . . Going twice . . . gone . . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment