
In Chicago we had curbside recycling, and I thought that was the best way to do it. If you want to recycle here, you must take your own things to one of two sites on designated days. Thankfully, the drop-off site is right by Nathan's office, so once or twice a month he takes a few minute break to help us take care of our recycling. All the kids love it. Their favorite thing to recycle is plastic, because they get to peer over the sides of the semi-truck sized container to see how full it is, adding our milk jugs to the pile. They have been known to squabble over the privilege of plastic recycling.
There is a kind older man who works there. I think his name is Ed, aka "Recycling Guy."
Around October, I asked "Recycling Guy" if he ever got canning jars.
He said, "Too bad you didn't ask last week, I had to get rid of a bunch of them. But the next time I get some, I will set them aside for you. You just remind me about it."
So I've been reminding him every now and then, and today was our lucky day.
We came home with 8 quart jars, 44 pint jars, and a box full of jam jars of assorted shapes and sizes. The best part is that most of them had lids on them, so they were fairly clean. We truly scored!
"Recycling Guy" was happy we could use them and we promised him some freezer jam in return for his kindness.
Maybe curbside recycling isn't the best . . . . . thank you "Recycling Guy" and the lady(ies) who left them! I will happily reuse.
No comments:
Post a Comment