Nathan had an oral board exam in Chicago. For months, I went back and forth about whether or not the kids and I would join him. My mom was not up for grandchildren watching this time around . . . she would have but the timing wasn't right.
So Nathan flew and the rest of us drove the next day.
I didn't like telling anyone (except friends from Chicago who do this drive annually by themselves) because I got all kinds of negative feedback:
"You are doing what?"
"With all your kids and not other driver?"
"You should really take someone else with you."
I was going to order AAA, but then I realized my auto insurance had a similar program, but even better b/c you only pay for it if you use it. Armed with that phone number, I knew we could do it.
![]() |
| Not sure who took this photo, my guess is Bryn . . . . note how calm and relaxed I look |
My kids rose to the occasion. They entertained Eddie, helped me with navigation, $ for the toll roads, distributing food for lunch. They were super helpful.
I was very happy to see Nathan when we met up, and I let him drive a lot after that, but it was a big success for me to do something so far out of my comfort zone.
YEAH for long road trips!!!!
I have lots more to say about going back to Chicago and 198 photos . . . . but that will wait for another day.

I think it is awesome that you went! I am glad you had a good time.
ReplyDeleteWOW! I'm impressed, Beth. I can't wait to hear more about your trip. And the test results!
ReplyDelete