“Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it;
and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God.”
Joseph Smith

Pages

Friday, April 10, 2009

Accounting update & Musings: Liabilities

I am more than halfway there!!!!!!! I've taken two midterms, Nathan took a day off for one, and while my mom was here last week, I took another! I have to say this class has been a team effort of many people, so thanks mom and Nathan. This week I've taken 2 quizzes, one was a VERY low score, and tonight, a 100%. That is a much happier number for me!

So, this will be a much shorter musing on liabilities: defined as "Probable future obligations to pay assets (usually cash) or provide services to another entity."

So this is my big question about liabilities: How can I better keep myself out of debt? I am not referring to my financial situation at all.

I refer to how I get myself into debt to other people. I've started praying for help to stay out of debt to others, which has helped. It has helped me think twice before saying yes. Still, I feel pressure each day to take on more. There are so many needs in my church and community, my children's school, my home, and people I know with heavy burdens. Waking up in the morning feeling, "Where do I begin?" is not a pleasant experience for me. And once I get out of debt, how do I stay out? ie How do I deal with repeated invitations to give more? How do I know when I can, and when I can't?

What are your secrets for avoiding overcommitting? How have you learned to say NO? Please help if you have a tip, either post or email me. I appreciate in advance any tips you have for how to deal with this type of indebtedness, because I am not good in this department.

I've been thinking of placing a list of the commitments (debts) I already have somewhere near my phone so that when someone calls and asks me, I can glance at it, realize there is not time to follow through on one more commitment, and say NO.

Tomorrow Nathan is working, his first Saturday working since we've been here! The kids and I are going on a family adventure, possibly posting to come, but I don't want to commit!

1 comment:

  1. In many ways I feel like I have fallen off the band wagon of overcommitment. Korea has really ostrasized me from the "American" social life. I rarely get asked to do stuff for anyone. People are just so shocked by my family size they leave me completely alone:). So, have more kids and pretty soon people will just plain leave you alone.

    ReplyDelete