“Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it;
and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God.”
Joseph Smith

Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

Latest sewing project(s)

During some spare moments when I was procrastinating Accounting, I was working on these:

Bryn and I worked on baby quilts for church to donate to the NICU. All that we did was sew and tie them, they were already cut for us. Cutting is my least favorite part of any sewing. I finished handsewing them on Saturday, they've been around a little over a month.



More cub Scout patches: no photo of these, but I did sew on Andrew's Bobcat.

And this wallhanging for my sister in law, Sarah. She picked the colors, I picked the pattern, called Buckeye Beauty, (which seemed like the obvious choice since they live in Ohio). It took me much longer than anticipated, (largely due to the procrastination problem previously mentioned), but I am happy with it.

I like to learn something new, or challenge myself in a new way. This is more blocks than I've done before, and I learned a new trick for the half-square triangles. It is also the first quilt I've made without a border. I have three favorite parts about it--
1. Thinking about Sarah while I made it.
2. The contrasts between darks and lights
3. The bold stroke of orange--it is the most striking color in the quilt, and brighter than most colors I've used before. I also was advised against using it, but love how it turned out--it adds a little more life.
4. Ok, I thought of one more--I like following the line of squares diagonally across the quilt with my eyes.



ps Have I mentioned lately how I wouldn't mind being locked in my room with my sewing machine?

4 comments:

  1. What fun projects! That is fun that you got to work on the quilts with Bryn. I love Sarah's wall hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you knew that Claire spent some time in the NICU when she was first born, and the little care package we were given from some YW brought me to tears I was so appreciative. So you may never hear thanks for the time and efforts and talent you put into those blankets, but know that they'll mean A LOT to some one who gets to use them. What a great service project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah loves Sarah's wall hanging too. I was super excited to get it in the mail. Bonus-Just as you thought of me while making it, I get to think about you, Beth, everytime I look at it :-) It is a happy thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is wonderful. You have amazing patient and skill. I wish to make a blanket for Eli someday... yeah... someday...

    ReplyDelete